By Staff Reports
Exploding Kittens, the hit game creator, is announcing Burning Cat, a first-of-its-kind convention meant to bring together game enthusiasts and creators for a fun, interactive weekend of gameplay on May 16 -17, 2020, at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland, Oregon.
“Burning Cat is the party we’ve always wanted to throw,” said Elan Lee, Co-Founder of Exploding Kittens. “Game night has always been my favorite night of the week. It’s when we all get to play, and laugh, and celebrate our friends. Burning Cat is what happens when thousands of us get to have Game Night together. It’s a gathering place to discover the best new games and the best people to play them with.”
From 10 am to 6 pm on both Saturday and Sunday, attendees can expect a weekend of the unexpected, including:
- Burning Cat Arena: Attendees of all ages can drop by the Burning Cat Arena, complete with stadium seating for 800, astroturf, and a 20-foot tall cat sculpture. Attendees can watch from the sidelines and enjoy the madness or join in on the action with non-stop absurd stunts and games every hour, on the hour. Exploding Kittens and other game creators will debut new games, invite people to play life-size versions of current ones, and hold tournaments for nonsensical prizes.
- Appearances By: Sarah Anderson of Sarah Scribbles, The Awkward Yeti creator Nick Seluk, Liz Climo of The Little World of Liz Climo, singer-songwriter Sarah Donner, and of course Exploding Kittens’ Co-Founder, Beat the Blerch founder, and The Oatmeal comic, Matt Inman. More to be announced!
- Creators Alley: Burning Cat is a place for artists and game creators to meet, connect, and create the next big game. In Creators Alley, fans, artists, and game developers can discover the most recent books, art, music, and more from creators of every style. Interested? Tablespace is still available for free: BurningCat.com/creators.
- Burning Cat Game Library: This is the place to find your new favorite games and the people to play them with. With a library of hundreds of tabletop games, our game concierge will help you find the perfect game based on your interests, available time, and previous favorites. They can even match you up with a group of new friends to play with.
- Fan Favorites from Exploding Kittens: No Exploding Kittens experience would be the same without some hairy, humongous, and hilarious amusements. Fans can visit The Big and Hairy Vending Machine to receive random objects, step inside the Throw Throw Burrito Dodgeball Cage to perfect dueling skills, play the world’s largest game of Exploding Kittens with the Big F***ing Cards, or make an offering to the 20-foot fall Burning Cat statue, filled with humans, that will preside over the convention and “burn” each night.
- Other Crazy Things: Burning Cat goers can visit the World’s Most Medium Sized Blanket Fort, help set the world record for the largest-ever game of freeze tag, play silly strategy games, compete in carnivalesque challenges, and put their golf game and hoop skills to the test with a round of mini-golf-basketball from Two Bit Circus Foundation.
- And many more surprises!
“I’ve been to a lot of conventions and have never found myself having much fun,” said Matthew Inman, Co-Founder of Exploding Kittens and Creator of The Oatmeal. “The idea behind this event is to fix that problem – you come here to be entertained, to have actual fun. It’s a carnival for people who love tabletop games.”
Tickets are available meow at https://burningcat.com/ for $45 per day for adults, $80 for both days, and $15 for kids on Sunday. And follow @BurningCatCon on Twitter to stay up to date on everything Burning Cat.
About Exploding Kittens
Exploding Kittens is a leading game and entertainment company with a mission to inspire people to connect, laugh, and play fun games in the physical world. After initially seeking to raise $10k through Kickstarter, the Exploding Kittens campaign raised $8.7M in 30 days from 219,000 backers. To date, Exploding Kittens is the #1 most-backed project in Kickstarter history and has sold over 9 million copies.
Started by former Xbox game designer Elan Lee and The Oatmeal’s founder Matt Inman, Exploding Kittens and its family of games recreates game night for a humorous and fun person-to-person experience. Today, there are five games available for purchase – Exploding Kittens, Bears vs Babies, You’ve Got Crabs, Throw Throw Burrito, On a Scale of One to T-Rex, as well as an Exploding Kittens mobile app that is one of the top 30 premium games on both iOS and Android.